Moisture in a basement can be a big problem. Not only can it be damaging to the personal belongings kept in the space, it can also be bad for your health. If you do not correct the problem, the water can cause integral damage to the structure of the home and it can lead to mold growth.
As soon as the humidity levels reach percent or greater, the environment becomes conducive to mold growth. If those humidity levels are not addressed, the mold can have very negative impacts on the health of those residing- or working in the space. So, if you believe that you might have a water problem in your basement, it is strongly recommended that you seek a professional evaluation of the space.
Because the ground temperatures are generally cooler than the air in the basement, the heat transfer can lead to moisture problems, even if there aren’t any leaks in the space. That sweating can definitely lead to mold growth, so it must be dealt with. How does one stop this problem? Short of insulating the walls of the basement, which would reduce the heat transfer, the only action that can be taken is to employ a dehumidification system. Dehumidifiers are great investments for those with basements. They can operate on timers, or can be wired to humidity sensors.
The Mitchell Instruments company manufactures many type of relative humidity sensors for a wide range of applications. From wall-mounted to duct-mounted options, these inexpensive, but accurate sensors can be integrated with any control system. They make it much easier and more efficient to operate dehumidifiers, exhaust fans, heating coils, and refrigeration systems. With real time feedback, these sensor can help minimize humidity problems, while providing accurate control of the spaces. That ultimately means that your water problem in addressed, mold growth is prevented, and the space is controlled in an affordable, efficient manner.